brownout n : darkness resulting from the extinction of lights (as in a city invisible to enemy aircraft) [syn: blackout, dimout]
see brown out
dimming of vision, usually with a brown hue and accompanied by loss of peripheral vision or tunnel vision.
- On rising suddenly from her chair she experienced a brownout and had to sit down again quickly.
- A sustained
period of low alternating
current line voltage
- When demand for electricty exceeds the available supply, a brownout occurs.
- brown out
Brownout may refer to:
- Brownout (medical) a dimming of the vision caused by loss of blood pressure or hypoxia (sometimes referred to as a grey-out).
- Brownout (electricity) drop in voltage in an electrical power supply, so named because it typically causes lights to dim.
- Brownout (aviation) reduced flight visibility due to airborne particles, especially from helicopter downwash.